It's one thing launching a new product, building up hype and offering a blinder of a one-off price, but how do you keep those sales rolling in after launch?
It's always nice to get a big rush of sales at once but one launch doesn't pay the bills, right?
Making the switch from one-off lifetime pricing to monthly recurring can be scary, so we sat down with Wilco de Kreij to get all his top tips and tricks for you.
Wilco is an amazing marketer and SaaS expert, and knows plenty about making necessary changes to reach success and pushing your business to the next level!
Let's dive in…
- I ran into the issue of ‘how do I keep people coming in every single month making a purchase?'
- I thought ‘hey, there are other people doing well with recurring' and realised I could do that.
- It took a couple of years between selling at lifetime price and a recurring monthly price – it was worth it.
- A couple of years ago about 80% of our traffic was from affiliate based launches.
- I realised I wasn't that keen on the affiliate model so decided to figure something else out.
- Started running paid ads and now around 85% of traffic is through paid ads and only 15% affiliate driven.
- Next year I'm planning to even it out between content marketing, affiliate marketing and paid ads.
- In my opinion, ideally no traffic source should be more than 50%, to minimise risk.
- Step 1 – Create something that you really believe in.
- Step 2 – Make sure you set a deadline to stop selling lifetime and stick to it. Stick to your guns no matter how tempting it might be to go back to lifetime deals.
- Step 3 – Find a way to keep driving new sales. Keep trying until you find something that works for you then optimise and scale from there.
- It's less about the hype now and more about the value.
- It's no longer about who is buying, it's about whether people are actually using the product and are they getting results. If they aren't then they won't keep paying you.
- Rather than using long form sales pages like I did for launches I'm not using webinars which are converting way better!
- I wish I'd started running webinars way earlier!
- They work so well and the conversion rate is so much higher. That's what we like to hear!
- With webinars, you can learn what your audience really wants. If someone visits a sales page they might click away and never return but with webinars people can ask questions and find out so much more.
- After every webinar, I email the people who attended to see if they have any feedback or questions. The replies I get provide so much information and understanding of the audience and what they want. It's hidden gold!
A book that you would recommend…
Traction by Gino Wickman.
What is your top success habit?
Listening to audiobooks or podcasts in the evening, making sure there is a good balance between work life and personal life, and preparing to-do lists for the day ahead.
Who do you look up to?
Not a person but a company, Intercom. They're super fast growing and I envy how they are doing in the marketplace.
How do you define success?
A life without stress, making sure that you're happy and the people around you are happy.
Here the big one…who do you like more, Rob or Kennedy?
Who? (Very funny Wilco!)