Wouldn't it be nice if you could make money from your business without having to do any actual selling or pitching?
Tim Hughes, CEO and Co-Founder of Digital Leadership Associates, is a huge advocate of using quality content and engagement to boost your business, instead of selling to your audience.
Let's find out how he does it…
Subscribe now on your favourite podcast player:
Personal brands in business?
- I believe strongly that we spend our time in social and that's where our customers are therefore that’s where we should be engaging them.
- Sending people to a website is kind of an unnatural act if you start doing that you’ll lose people along the way.
When you talk about people not clicking on links anymore what do you mean by that?
- The fact of the matter is the constant bombardment and interruption, we don’t need that anymore.
- 10 years ago, the only way to get information was for you to bombard me with it and now I’m free to go online and check things out.
- I think when people try to pitch now, it’s a big turn off.
Do you think that ads are pissing people off because the people who are running the ads are bad at it?
- I think it’s two things, one is bad advertising. And two, you have to remember that 97% of the people you are advertising to are not looking to buy what you are selling right now.
- While people are spending a lot on advertising, a lot of people don’t care about what you are advertising.
How do you feel about sponsoring your ad content?
- We don’t do any outbound marketing, we get three pieces of inbound every day and we do that by creating content.
- The thing about organic is that what people are searching for. Buyers are looking for content that is going to support them.
- Content is the way that businesses should be prospecting.
How do you start to find a way to differentiate your content in this big sea of noise?
- The most important thing to do is not to sell or pitch.
- You should be taking the knowledge that you have and putting it out there.
- When you are creating content you can’t assume people are going to read it.
What are our distribution channels for a blog? How do we get the viewership?
- The best thing to do if you are writing a short-form blog is to post them on LinkedIn.
- Remember the people that are looking to buy are looking for an expert.
- At some point, you can switch over to your blog.
Where do your books fit in with the way you use your content?
- It’s an extension of my content marketing.
- Having a book is like having the best business card you can have.
Two tips for writing a compelling LinkedIn summary?
- Your LinkedIn summary is your “why” not your “what”.
- What we are looking for is that human element.
A book that you would recommend…
Mindset by Carol Dweck
What is your top success habit?
I carry a notebook with me everywhere.
Who do you look up to?
Ted Rubin, Seth Godin, Robert Caruso.
What are your favourite apps right now?
Here’s the big one… who do you like more, Rob or Kennedy?
Last night the answer was gonna be Kennedy, but since I’ve seen you on the video it might be Rob!
Finally, where can folks go to find out more about you?
Timothy Hughes on LinkedIn and DLAIgnite.com